Thursday, January 16, 2014

Thumbs Up to 'Live from Daryl's House'

     After reading several positive articles and receiving a couple of recommendations, Val and I finally watched a few episodes of "Live from Daryl's House," a musical program hosted by Darryl Hall of Hall & Oates, and it is a really good program.
     Hall originally hosted the program from his house in Millerton, NY, but is now be taping it at a club called "Darryl's House" in Pawling, NY. The show began as a web cast in 2007, and was picked up for television and can now be seen on VH1, VH1 Classic and Palladia networks.
     I've seen parts and clips from a bunch of shows, but of the entire programs I've seen, my two favorites are those featuring Smokey Robinson and Nick Waterhouse. The hour-long program was originally set in renovated houses with live-in-studio performances featuring Hall on vocals, guitar and keyboard, as well as some talented musical regulars and special guests/cohosts.
     In particular, the Smokey Robinson episode features everything that is good about this format as well as the guest himself. The musical selections ranged from classic Robinson hits throughout his career to some lesser-known songs. Upbeat tunes such as "Tears of a Clown" and of a more obscure Motown song I wish I had caught the title of had the original kick with a bit more grit to them, and even "Being With You," not exactly a favorite Robinson song of mine (and I do consider Robinson among the true music geniuses), sounded soulful, as Hall traded lines with Robinson using his falsetto. They also performed a smoldering version of Hall & Oates' "Sarah Smile."
     The best song in my opinion was "Ooh Baby Baby," with the band really holding back as it should have while providing a soft, slinky, romantic backing. Robinson took most of the lead vocals, while Hall harmonized quite nicely, but eventually, except for the necessary harmony lines, you could see Hall just sit back with a wide grin to listen and watch Robinson amazingly sing everything, including the higher notes, without missing a single note or emotion. I kind of got chills listening, but the reactions of Hall and the other musicians were priceless, as they smiled, whistled, shook their heads and applauded in amazement and appreciation. As the show ended, Hall and others could hardly express their good fortune and enjoyment of performing with Robinson.
     While I had heard of Nick Waterhouse, I hadn't really heard more than a song of his, so his episode helped introduce me to his music as well as entertained me. Waterhouse plays revved up 1960s flavored rock and soul, sometimes with an early Elvis Costello and the Attractions feel, other times older, and he and Hall seemed to hit it off well musically. Let's just say the music and performances were good enough that it appears I will be using some of the funds I have in my iTunes account to get an album of his.
     My timing in writing this piece is better than anticipated; it appears that the newest "Live from Daryl's House," with Billy Gibbons from ZZ Top, debuted yesterday, January 15, on the show's website, LFDH.com, with this and other new shows starting in February. Also, I hope to catch the shows with Todd Rundgren, Cee-Lo Green, Booker T and the MGs, Shelby Lynne, the late Ray Manzarek, Robbie Krieger and, yes, John Rzeznik of the Goo Goo Dolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment