Monday, January 13, 2014

You Just Keep Me Hanging On

     I've been writing about interesting and/or surprising covers in this blog and my previous column of the same name, but I have forgotten to mention one
that has me curious or confused.
     There is a Play Station 4 commercial using Lou Reed's "Perfect Day," and despite repeated viewings, I can barely figure out what the song has to do with the music, unless rabid video game violence is equated to unrequited or delayed love and understanding. Yes, I know, as if it has to have any specific meaning.
     Again, I have no problem with the late Lou Reed, and now his estate, earning money from the use of his songs, but at the least, Reed has caused some discussion, derision and laughter at his advertising choices, including the famous/infamous Honda Scooter commercial using his "Walk on the Wild Side."
     I would be more entertained and appreciative, and actually smile, if possibly a shoe company would use "Venus in Furs" ("Shiny shiny, shiny boots of leather") or a utility company would feature "White Light White Heat." A music geek can dream.

1 comment:

  1. Yes it is a very strange commercial "It's just a perfect day" to be playing computer games and blowing things up I guess? I wondered who is controlling his publishing?

    ReplyDelete