Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Rush to (Commercial) Judgment

Take off with Walmart, it's a beauty way to go.
Well, it seems that my continuing commentary (harping) on musical choices being used in commercials, mainly television, has taken an unexpected turn.
While I was watching the Winter Olympics from Sochi (and seeing little non-man made snow except February 18), I caught a commercial for Walmart, mentioning how allegedly committed the company is to the American (as in USA) workers it employs at its stores, warehouses, etc., as well as American factory workers and its acquiring of their products.
When I finished spitting out my snack and stopped laughing and shaking my head, I noticed that the music being used in the television commercial was..."Working Man," by Rush. That's right, Walmart was spraining muscles patting its own back for "supporting" American workers with a song from the proudly and unmistakeably Canadian progressive rock band which has set a course of independence, musically and politically, for years.
Of course, as well as this use of the song by one of the most vile mega corporations around, I am still confused with and trying to find more about Rush, its members and its licensing agents and staffers allowing the use of this song, even for money.
We have assumed control, we have assumed control.

No comments:

Post a Comment