Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Five Questions With Linda McRae

Linda McRae, one of the finest musical exports (originally from British Columbia, Canada) who is now a domestic resource living in Nashville with husband, poet and writer James K. Whitmire, will perform a full-band CD release show for her new recording, "Rough Edges & Ragged Hearts," at 8:30 p.m. Friday, June 15, at the Sportsmen's Tavern on Amherst Street in Buffalo. Admission will be a ridiculously low $3.

After gaining notoriety as a bassist/vocalist for Spirit of the West, McRae went solo and has previously released two official solo CDs, "Flying Jenny" in 1997 and "Carve It to the Heart" in 2008, as well as "Crying Out Loud" in 2002 credited to Linda McRae and Cheerful Lonesome. She also added playing clawhammer banjo to her acoustic guitar and bass credits, and has played shows and conducted songwriting clinics for inmates at Folsom Prison in California.
McRae was kind enough to take some time from traveling and rehearsing to answer some questions for The Hosey Report.
 
THR: Tell us about your new CD.
LM: It’s really really good! No really! I’m especially proud of my new CD "Rough Edges & Ragged Hearts" for a number of reasons. First and foremost are the songs. I feel these are some of the best songs I have ever written and five of them just happen to be co-writes with my husband James Whitmire and me. That in itself makes it special as that’s never happened before, this is a first for us!
I recorded it in Vancouver BC with my producer/musician friend Marc L’Esperance. Marc and I worked together on my last recording "Carve It To the Heart" as well. We set out to create an intimate, more stripped down version of the songs, something that is closer to how it sounds live. I think we succeeded. Of course there are some songs that have full band treatment as well.

THR: How has your approach and sound evolved over the years?
LM: It sounds corny but my approach and my sound have matured over the years as I gather more experience as an artist and as a human being. I’ve also been performing as a solo artist for the past four years, a very humbling but exhilarating experience in itself. As a multi-instrumentalist who performers alone I’ve had to up my game so to speak because I don’t have another musician with me to fill in the lead parts so I’ve had to learn how to make it interesting for the audience as well as myself by learning how to do that for myself. 

THR: Explain why you turned to the banjo and what it has done to your music.
 LM: I’ve been studying traditional music (clawhammer banjo, Appalachian vocal styles and acoustic blues guitar) thanks to my new-found love of the banjo. I’m loving it and it’s been interesting discovering the common threads that connect all these different styles.
 I’ve learned that less is more in almost everything. I approach songwriting with much more of a sense of economy that I used to. I have also learned the beauty of dynamics and that people take in more (including myself) when they’re not being shouted at. Don’t get me wrong, shouting can be great…but so are dynamics. I used to push my voice way too hard resulting in some pitch problems and fatigue. I’ve learned how to pace myself and how to get the most from the lyric and dynamics are a huge part of that.

THR: Will the June 15 Sportsmen's Tavern show be a solo show, band or some of each?
LM: It’s going to be a band show. My talented friend and local Buffalo musician/songwriter Jim Whitford has put a dream band together for me and I’m really looking forward to playing with everyone. We’ll be doing pretty much everything as a band…no rest for these guys! Aside from my own material, we’re learning a few covers that will be fun too, some Neil Young, Rolling Stones, Hazel and Alice, Townes, etc. Jim Whitford will be on upright bass/vocals, Randy Bolam on drums, Doug Yeomans on guitar/vocals and no opening act.

THR: How does playing solo or with a band effect your music? 
LM: I love playing with a band but I also love playing solo. I miss the camaraderie, the layers of sound and the sheer power of playing with a band. It’s always fun to hear different musician’s take on the music too. Each player puts his own stamp on the music and it’s exciting hearing it all come together. Playing solo is so different. When I’m really having a great night I can tend to stretch more and not worry about the other players knowing where I’m going. I can experiment more. On the other hand if you have a bad night there’s no one to commiserate with or to blame…haha, not that I ever do that!!!!
People can get the CD at www.gotoagig.ca/merch oh and also at the shows. Come out down and say hi!

No comments:

Post a Comment