Sunday, September 15, 2013

Cover These Songs...With Dirt


When he hears the cover, only Alice cries
In the past few weeks, two covers of songs have particularly annoyed me to the point where I need to vent.

The first song, which I have heard WAY too much, is a slow, painfully bad version of Alic Cooper's classic "School's Out" that was used in advertisements for Staples. The song is slowed down to a soporific crawl with synthesizer swirls, and uses those incredibly annoying, not-even-cool-for-two-minutes affected/affectless vocals from a female I have not yet been able to identify. You have to be very talented and creative to take on this over-the-top, let-it-all-out hard rock anthem and make something good, interesting and fun of it, and the performer and producer do neither.

Irony, shmirony; this interpretation says nothing and does nothing for the song or performer, the identity of who I have yet to discover despite several attempts.

Kurt still feels the pain of the new version
The other painful cover I started hearing a few days ago was that of Nirvana's "Come As You Are," again by an unknown female singer. This version of the song is being used as part of a campaign by the Lifetime Network for several programs, including "Witches of East End," which is what I saw and heard when I was subjected to this dreck. In this cover, a female sings the song at a dirge-like pace, similar to the original, but with none of the emotion, urgency or intensity of the late Kurt Cobain. Quite frankly, I wonder if anyone at Lifetime actually listened to the lyrics.

On top of really disliking this version of "Come As You Are," I am annoyed that Lifetime all but forced me to show way more interest in this program than I had planned (zero), and I hope someone makes some money off of this who needs it (I remain confused over the control and licensing of Cobain's/Nirvana's music, as in how much goes to Courtney Love, Dave Grohl and/or Krist Novoselic).

No comments:

Post a Comment