Sunday, August 28, 2022

The Return of the Prodigal Reviewer Son

 

No column logo, so a new Mask-R-Aid music notation selfie will do.
                                                   
     Thank you to those who have recently reached out online or asked me in person if The Hosey Report has returned/started to cover music again. The answer is yes and I am very excited about it.

     This blog had sadly swerved away from music coverage in the last few years, especially following my heart attack and massive open-heart surgery in late 2017. On top of that, suffering from a painful, sometimes almost crippling case of writer’s block for several years didn’t help, and this blog went much too infrequent for my liking. Things picked up in frequency for an unfortunate reason, as the COVD pandemic hit and I addressed nothing but that issue for about two years. In that time, I did start taking photography much more seriously, and am heartened by my progress as a photographer, being able to express myself artistically and politically, as well as the generously warm response from you fine people.


     But I need to be sure that I do not forget that I am a writer at heart, in talent, calling, vocation and art and any other way it can be referenced. Having been a newspaper reporter and editor for more than 18 years and a freelance writer for more than 35 years, it gets in your blood, just like the ink we used to print with not so long ago. Slowly, the urge to write about music returned, and a few bands and musicians (Monkey Wrench in particular) reached out to me about writing about new musical releases, etc., and I started buying some music, at Bandcamp and elsewhere, with much of it making me want to write about it.


     It has also led me to look for some interesting, off the beaten path type photo mini-essays, such as the one I published on the guitarist playing serious metal favorites outside Starbucks on Delaware Avenue in the middle of a workday. I’m finding some really good music, my lovely wife and by far the better photographer in our marriage Val Dunne and I are going to more shows and I feel an enthusiasm for all of this I haven’t felt in years. Most of my new reviews have been either CDs or digital recordings, and those will continue, and I will also review the occasional live show and conduct a couple of interviews.


     It’s good to be back, and performers wishing to contact me can email me at kjhosey@roadrunner.com or comment here; email me for my mailing address if needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment